Tuesday, June 10, 2014

in the works

I have begun to write again:)

Any writers out there?

Anyone?

Okay...how about this:

Any of you who would love to write or feel the impulse to write or desire greatly to write but may not have the motivation, time, or support to do so?

See, this is with whom I have always identified. I used to try to write as a little kid, but my older sisters more or less squashed this creative side out of me with their criticisms and I became too ashamed to write at all. Don't get me wrong--I love my sisters and I love criticism and I love their criticism, but as I little kid it was slightly depressing to have your older sisters make fun of everything you tried to write. So I stopped, yet always felt that writer's pulse within me. But now...

AT LAST! I AM WRITING AGAIN:)

I cannot tell you just how overjoyed I am right now. Of course, it is difficult, what with always having to interrupt myself with work and reading and everything else, but all the same...the words are a-coming. And there is nothing quite so satisfying as seeing your creative juices flowing into those neat little letters.

However...writing is wildly frightening. When writing, you watch your ideas take form and you lay them there in front of yourself, willing them to be criticized by present others, past works, and, that harshest of critics, yourself. It is incredibly daunting. I cannot help but disparage myself for even trying to write something--I keep comparing my stuff to the great works of literature. It is impossibly stupid for me to do so, but, as an incorrigible competitor, I can't help it.

Apart from this difficulty, there is also the massive struggle of just writing. Ever tried to write? If yes, you understand just how difficult it is to make sense of your mind and perform the osmosis of what you want to say into that scene or that story or whatever it is you are attacking at that present moment. George Orwell once described novel-writing as "a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout with some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand" (Orwell). I cannot agree more, Mr. Orwell.

So there you have it folks. I have a new work finally actually in the process, a work more than two or three paragraphs long, and I have made the commitment to actually finish it. Let's see what happens.


In the meantime, enjoy this scene--one of my favorites from all of cinematic history. There is so much meaning in this one scene...everyone should see it. Breakfast at Tiffany's is not my favorite movie, but this scene is absolutely fantastic. I just love the ending of this movie. And Audrey Hepburn is absolutely amazing--one of my heroes:)

{evie}

1 comment:

  1. i cannot get over how dramatically different our writing stylez are #mindboggling

    ReplyDelete